Friday, June 17, 2011

Switched at Birth

So there's a new tv show on ABCFamily called Switched at Birth. I missed the first episode and just saw the second episode and I was HOOKED 5 minutes into the show! It's about two girls who were switched at birth and found each other (and their biological families) as teenagers. One of the girls, Daphne, is Deaf!

I'm so happy because I've been waiting for a show like this for the longest time!!!!! I've wanted a show that (almost) centers around a deaf girl. A show that brings awareness about the Deaf . A show where there's a lot of signing and they have to put subtitles on the screen so hearing people know what's being said, now my friends can put themselves in my shoes because I have to watch regular shows with captions to understand what is being said lol.

I can relate to Daphne in SOOOO many ways (from episode 2 alone since I missed the first one)!!!! I'm Deaf because of getting meningitis as a young child and was raised by a single mother (except I  had a brother). I feel the same way in group settings when everybody is talking and I went to a Deaf school. I've had people ask me about Deaf people driving and how it's safe for us to drive. I've had people ask me if I lipread stranger's conversations and yes, I've had a lot of misunderstood moments like "knees on cheese" instead of "Neon Trees" lol. At the end of the episode, there was a scene where Daphne was walking down the street with a hearing guy named Liam and his friends showed up and were being jerks.... I've been there before too and have done what she did lol.

I am absolutely in love with this show and can't wait for the next episode. I really hope that they keep this show going past one season. That is my biggest fear about getting so into this show is that they will cancel it after the season is over. It happened to me recently. I got hooked on the shows No Ordinary Family and Off the Map. They were just recently canceled and I was so disappointed. So I'm praying that it doesn't happen with Switched at Birth. I think (hope) that a lot of people will be outraged if it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment